Pvt. Corlton L. Chee is the 11th Fort Hood soldier to die in the past six months while stationed at the Texas base.
Fort Hood officials report that another soldier has died. Pvt. Corlton L. Chee, 25, “collapsed while conducting physical fitness training and was transported to the Carl R. Darnall Medical Center on Aug. 28,” the Army said in a statement. “He was then transported to Baylor Scott and White in Temple,TX on Aug. 30 where he passed away with his Family by his side.”
The Army An autopsy is scheduled with the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences in Dallas, the statement added.
Chee’s awards and decorations included the National Defense Service Medal and the Army Service Ribbon, the Army informed.
“Our team is devastated by the loss of Pvt. Chee. Corlton was an amazing Trooper and so full of life and potential.” Lt. Col. Ron Sprang, commander of 2nd Bn. 12th Cav. Regt. said in a statement, adding that his loss was “exceptionally heartbreaking.”
Chee is now the 11th soldier to die under questionable circumstances this year in Fort Hood. Officials of the Texas base said Chee’s death is being investigated. An autopsy is scheduled with the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences in Dallas.
On Aug. 13, another soldier died at Fort Hood during a training exercise. The Texas Military Department is investigating the death of Sgt. Bradley Moore, 36, but the official said that no foul play was suspected.
RELATED: Fort Hood Commander in Charge of Investigating Vanessa Guillén’s Death Loses Post and Transfer
While there are multiple investigations going on at Fort Hood, there is an internal and independent review also underway. On Aug. 6, U.S. Army Secretary Ryan McCarthy said they are investigating the recent increase in deaths, murder, and assault at the base founded in 1942 in the road between Austin and Waco.
Here a list of service members that have died since March.
- March 1: Spc. Shelby Jones, 20, was shot and killed at a strip club near Fort Hood.
- March 5: Spc. Christopher Sawyer, 29, was found unresponsive in his on-post residence.
- March 14: Spc. Freddy Delacruz Jr., 23, was among three victims found dead of gunshot wounds at an off-base apartment complex.
- April 22: Spc. Vanessa Guillén, 20, was reported missing after working in one of the regiment’s arms room. Her remains were found weeks later. A fellow soldier who was a suspect in her killing shot himself when confronted by local police.
- May 18: Pfc. Brandon Rosecrans, 27, was found dead from a gunshot wound near his burning Jeep, about 13 miles from the base.
- June 19: Pvt. Gregory Morales, 24. His skeletal remains were found off base, and foul play is suspected.
- July 17: Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 27. His body was found unresponsive by a group of fishermen in the vicinity of Stillhouse Lake. Drowning is suspected, but the investigation is ongoing.
- Aug. 2: Spc. Francisco Gilberto Hernandez-Vargas, 24. His body was recovered after a boating incident on Stillhouse Hollow Lake, which is 15 miles from Fort Hood.
- Aug. 13: Sgt. Bradley Moore, 36, died during a training exercise.
- Aug. 25: Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, found hanging from a tree in Temple, Texas after he had gone missing for a week.
This story has been updated to include the official Fort Hood statement on the death of Pvt. Chee Corlton.