Multiple investigations are currently underway at Fort Hood after 11 soldiers have died in questionable circumstances since March.
The Navajo Nation is seeking an investigation into the death of Fort Hood soldier, Pvt. Corlton L. Chee. The 25-year-old died on Sept. 2 at the Carl R. Darnall Medical Center in Texas after collapsing during a training exercise on Aug. 28. Chee was from Pine Hill, New Mexico, and a member of the Navajo Nation.
“We are deeply disturbed by the string of deaths at Fort Hood, and if there is any malfeasance or negligence involved, the Navajo Nation calls on our national leaders to pursue every available avenue to protect the lives of our Navajo warriors and those serving in the US Armed Forces,” Speaker Seth Damon said in a statement on Sept. 5. “Our young Navajo warriors who choose to continue the valorous legacy shared by our Navajo Code Talkers deserve the greatest assurances from our military leaders that their service is not in vain.”
Chee is the 11th Fort Hood soldier to die under questionable circumstances. Fort Hood officials said an investigation into his death is underway, along with several other inquiries going on at Fort Hood, both internal and independent.
“Our hearts are heavy today with the news of Private Carlton Chee’s passing,” Navajo Nation Council Delegate Jamie Henio said in a statement. “Our young Navajos continue to serve at the highest rates per capita in the country, and when we lose just one of our honorable warriors, the entire Nation feels that pain.”
Here a list of service members that have died since March.
- Mar. 1: Spc. Shelby Jones, 20, was shot and killed at a strip club near Fort Hood.
- Mar. 5: Spc. Christopher Sawyer, 29, was found unresponsive in his on-post residence.
- Mar. 14: Spc. Freddy Delacruz Jr., 23, was among three victims found dead of gunshot wounds at an off-base apartment complex.
- Apr. 22: Spc. Vanessa Guillén, 20, was reported missing after working in one of the regiment’s arms room. Her remains were found weeks later. A fellow soldier who was a suspect in her killing shot himself when confronted by local police.
- May 18: Pfc. Brandon Rosecrans, 27, was found dead from a gunshot wound near his burning Jeep, about 13 miles from the base.
- Jun. 19: Pvt. Gregory Morales, 24. His skeletal remains were found off base, and foul play is suspected.
- Jul. 17: Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 27. His body was found unresponsive by a group of fishermen in the vicinity of Stillhouse Lake. Drowning is suspected, but the investigation is ongoing.
- Aug. 2: Spc. Francisco Gilberto Hernandez-Vargas, 24. His body was recovered after a boating incident on Stillhouse Hollow Lake, which is 15 miles from Fort Hood.
- Aug. 13: Sgt. Bradley Moore, 36, died during a training exercise.
- Aug. 25: Sgt. Elder Fernandes, 23, found hanging from a tree in Temple, Texas after he had gone missing for a week.